REALTORs®, Agents and real estate boards need to collect, use and disclose some personal information to help you sell or buy real estate. We respect your privacy and through the following question and answer dialogue we want to ensure you understand how and why your information is collected, used and disclosed in a real estate transaction.
How is my personal information collected? Most personal information will be collected directly from you through the contracts and other documents you fill out (e.g., Multiple Listing Contract, Contract of Purchase and Sale, seller's Property Disclosure Statement) and through discussions you have with your REALTOR®. Some information may be collected from other sources such as government departments and agencies (e.g., Land Title Offices, BC Assessment), financial institutions and mortgage brokers.
To whom may my personal information be disclosed? Your information may be disclosed to (or may be accessible by) the Boards and their staff and members, other real estate boards and their staff and members, other REALTORs® and their clients, government departments and agencies, financial institutions, legal advisors, service providers, the British Columbia Real Estate Association, the Real Estate Council of British Columbia, the Canadian Real Estate Association and members of the public, for the purposes described below.
Not all of your information will be accessible to each of the above-mentioned entities. For example, once the listing term has ended, the general public will not have access to your information unless it is otherwise available through public registries (e.g., BC Assessment,Land Title Offices).
Why is my personal information collected, used and disclosed? Your information may be collected, used and disclosed for some or all of the following purposes:
- To allow members of real estate boards (including REALTORs® and appraisers) to appraise your property.
- To list your property with the Multiple Listing Service® in order to market your property.
- To market your property for sale through any other media (both print and electronic).
- To help you locate a suitable property to purchase.
- To facilitate the purchase and sale transaction(by cooperating with financial institutions, legal advisors and government departments and agencies).
- To allow the Boards and other real estate boards and their members (including REALTORs® and appraisers) to compile current and historical statistics on sales and property prices, and to conduct comparative market analyses. Information about your property will be retained in the Multiple Listing Service® for these purposes after your property has sold or your listing has expired (if you are a seller) and after you have purchased your property (if you are a buyer).
- To enforce codes of professional conduct and ethics for members of real estate boards (by cooperating with real estate boards, the British Columbia Real Estate Association, the Real Estate Council of British Columbia, The Canadian Real Estate Association and other regulatory bodies).
- To comply with legal requirements and to act pursuant to legal authorizations.
The above-mentioned collections, uses and disclosures are a necessary part of your relationship with your REALTOR®.
Will my personal information be collected, used and disclosed for any other purposes? Your information may also be collected,used and disclosed for the following additional purposes:
- Your REALTOR® may communicate with you in future to determine whether you require additional real estate services.
- Your REALTOR® may communicate with you to provide information about other products or services which may interest you.
- Other REALTORs® may communicate with you to determine whether you require additional real estate services.
These additional purposes are optional. If you do not want your personal information disclosed or used for these purposes, please contact the Victoria Real Estate Board's privacy officer by telephone: (250) 385-7766.